14.2.11

Llamas, Alpacas, Vicuñas, Oh My!

"What embassy?" I said.
She turned pale and crossed herself. "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph," she said. "Are you saying you haven't told the embassy you're here?"
"It never occurred to me. Is it really necessary?"
"Necessary? Do you know how many people come to Bolivia and are never heard of again? Suppose you disappeared! Forever!"

Taken from In Bolivia, by Eric Lawlor


Monday, I heard from them.
Tuesday, I booked my flight.
Wednesday, I took visa photos, went to the bank, got vaccinated against Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Influenza, and started taking Anti-Malarials.
Thursday, I waltzed into the consulate first thing in the morning with all my papers, only to be told that I didn't have all my papers. Except that I did. Yes, even the photos. Yes, even the bank statement. Yes, even the invitation letter. Yes, even the vaccinations. What? It doesn't say I need a criminal background check. That's new? But it isn't on the website. Oh, that's a new rule you implemented this morning between the time I walked in the building and when I was riding the elevator up to the 10th floor. Bueno, gracias. I'll come back tomorrow.

I will be spending some time in Cochabamba, Bolivia. And so the travel bug strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment